Notice of Privacy Practices
Effective September 1, 2006
THIS NOTICE DESCRIBES HOW MEDICAL INFORMATION ABOUT YOU MAY BE USED AND DISCLOSED AND HOW YOU CAN ACCESS THIS INFORMATION. PLEASE REVIEW IT CAREFULLY.
Our Commitment to Your Privacy
Augusta Medical Systems, LLC is dedicated to using your health information responsibly and in compliance with the law. This Notice of Health Information Privacy Practices describes the information we collect, how and when we use or disclose that information, and your rights as they relate to your protected health information. This Notice explains how we will meet the requirements for the Privacy Regulations of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996.
Who Must Abide by the Notice
- All employees, staff, and other personnel who provide services at Augusta Medical Systems, LLC.
- The people and organizations to which this Notice applies may be referred to as “Augusta Medical Systems,” “we,” “our,” or “us.” We provide services and products to individuals throughout the United States. We may share your information with each other for the purposes of treatment and as necessary for payment and operations activities described below.
Understanding Your Protected Health Information
Your Protected Health Information, often referred to as your health or medical record, serves as a:
- Basis for planning your care and treatment,
- Means of communication among the many health professionals who contribute to your care,
- Legal document describing the care you received,
- Means by which you or a third-party payor can verify that services billed were actually provided,
- A tool in educating health professionals,
- A source of data for medical research,
- A source of information for public health officials charged with improving the health of the state and nation,
- A source of date for our planning and marketing,
- A tool with which we can assess and continually work to improve the care we render and the outcomes we achieve.
Understanding what is in your record and how your health information is used helps you to ensure its accuracy, better understand who, what, when, and make more informed decisions when authorizing disclosures to others.
Your Health Information Rights
Although your health record is the physical property of Augusta Medical Systems, LLC, the information belongs to you. You have the right to:
- Obtain a paper copy of this notice of information practices upon request,
- Inspect and copy your health record as provided for in 45 CFR 164.524
- Amend your health record as provided for in 45 CFR 164.528,
- Obtain an accounting of disclosures of your health information as provided for in 45 CFR 164.528
- Request communications of your health information by alternative means or at alternative locations,
- Request a restriction on certain uses and disclosures of your information as provided by 45 CFR 164.522 and
- Revoke your authorization to use or disclose health information except to the extent that action has already taken place.
Augusta Medical Systems, LLC is required to:
- Maintain the privacy of your health information,
- Provide you with this notice as to our legal duties and privacy practices with respect to information we collect and maintain about you,
- Abide by the terms of this notice,
- Notify you if we are unable to agree to a requested restriction, and
- Accommodate reasonable requests you may have to communicate health information by alternative means or alternative locations.
We will not use or disclose your health information without your authorization, except as described in this notice. We will also discontinue to use or disclose your health information after we have received a written revocation of the authorization according to the procedures included in the authorization.
We May Use and Disclose Your Health Information in the Following Ways:
1. Treatment and Services:
Providing you with durable medical equipment, supplies and services as prescribed by your physician and the coordination and consultation with your physician and other healthcare providers is considered a form of treatment and service.
Augusta Medical Systems, LLC will use and disclose your health information to obtain payment for the services and supplies provided.
Augusta Medical Systems, LLC may use or disclose your health information for operational purposes. Operations can include, but not limited to, review of your health information by us to ensure compliance with all federal and state regulations, business planning and management, and certain marketing and administrative activities.
4. Other Purpose:
Marketing Information to Patients
Food and Drug Administration (FDA) disclosures
Changes to This Notice
Augusta Medical Systems, LLC reserves the right to change our privacy practices and to make the new provisions effective for all protected health information we maintain. Any new or revised Notices are available upon request or by visiting www.augustams.com.
For More Information or to Report a Problem
If you have questions and would like additional information, you may contact:
Augusta Medical Systems, LLC
Attention: Privacy Officer
1027 Broad Street Augusta, GA 30901
Toll Free (800) 827-8382
If you believe your privacy rights have been violated, you can file a complaint with our Privacy Officer or with the Office for Civil Rights, US Department of Health and Human Services. There will be no retaliation for filing a complaint with either the Privacy Officer or the Office for Civil Rights.